Thursday, January 10, 2019

The Favourite (2018)

The Favourite is raucously brilliant. The writing is hilarious and it's even more amazing for being a true story. And I am willing to overlook the abrupt and unsatisfactory ending because I so enjoyed the rest of it. Yorgos Lanthimos really has some original, quirky ideas. I also quite enjoyed the premise of the Lobster, but it's another one where I didn't like the ending. He can't finish. In this case, maybe it's actually that I just didn't want it to end. It's a really good time. The actors are all superb, not just the trio of ladies but Nicholas Hoult too. The way they deliver their lines are almost Shakespearean. The moments pass so quickly and effortlessly that it's easy to miss the punchline if you're not paying attention. It's a masterclass in acting. The cinematography is certainly a choice. For some shots, but not all, they employ a wide angled fish-eye lens. It intentionally distorts the image and makes the subjects appear small in these grand rooms. I personally didn't like the cinematography, but it is certainly notable. The costumes and production design are delightful!

No comments:

Post a Comment