I am a student at Johns Hopkins with a passion for film, media and awards. Here you will find concise movie reviews and my comments on TV, theater and award shows. I can't see everything, but when I finally get around to it, you'll find my opinion here on everything from the classics to the crap.
Monday, September 7, 2026
Marina (Little Island)
Little Island trimmed down their programming this summer. I think they're looking to cut down on their expenses but in this maritime production that happened to be on a rainy night, they provided good quality disposal ponchos. This is my second outing to the Amphitheater and this was certainly the stranger production. A commission by the Whitney Biennial, Marina is a world premiere by Martine Gutierrez, who stars as the titular Marina, and Julio Torres, who wrote and directed the hour-long play. I was a little deceived because I thought Torres would be in it. There is even a role that should have been played by Julio--a character that rolls around the stage on its stomach. All the under-the-sea characters use spooky voices. Their costumes are absurd. I mean, I don't know what a sea wench is supposed to look like so the production designers ran wild. This ain't no Disney-fied little mermaid. It is funny in a Torres kind of way. It's weird, not for everyone. I don't think it's as incisive or funny as his other work. But it has its moments. Just as Ariel collects human thingamabobs from the surface, Marina comes across a smartphone and promptly creates an OKCupid profile to catfish unsuspecting human men who she slays when they realize the deception. Before we started, we were a little surprised that the play was so short but I think an hour is honestly the right length for a show that's so out there. I was also led to believe it was a musical. While it has a score by Lia Ouyang Rusli (who wrote the music or Happyend) there aren't really songs. Glad to have seen it anyway!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment