Friday, October 14, 2016

The Lobster (2015)

The Lobster is a super strange and awkward movie. It almost has a bit of a Wes Anderson feel to it. I love the premise. It is fresh and original. Colin Farrell moves into a hotel where singles have 45 days to find a partner lest they get turned into an animal. The first half of the film is highly enjoyable. It is a quiet kind of funny and you have no idea what is coming up next. The premise evolves and unravels and you're never sure what insane new rule the hotel came up with or what quirky guest is staying there. I won't reveal too much cause it's really insane. I do feel like the movie sort of falls apart in the second half. The hotel was so brilliant, that I was unsatisfied with the world created outside it where you have to learn a new set of rules.  I would've been happy if they had just fleshed out the story within the confines of the hotel. It's a shame because I really like Rachel Weisz, but the second half in which she appears was a little difficult for me to follow. 

No comments:

Post a Comment