Sunday, February 19, 2017

Evita (UK Touring Production) (2017)

I didn't love Evita. I saw it at the Edinburgh Playhouse on a weekend trip. We happened to pass by and saw it was the last night of Evita. It was great for 20 pounds, but the theater wasn't full for a reason. Mostly because the music isn't that recognizable or good, other than Don't Cry For Me Argentina. But also, the story is kind of boring and the story isn't very clear in Act I. Act II plays out more traditionally, but Act I was a little all over the place. It portrays Eva Peron in a rather negative light, which I didn't know about the show. I don't quite understand the symbolism of Che, the narrator. Apparently, he's not Che Guevara, but the name and mannerism is not a coincidence.

The actress that played Evita was actually pretty good. And the set was well done, including the iconic balcony. In this production, it is in three parts, and it moves, being repurposed in different scenes. My biggest problem with this production was that the sound was way too loud. I couldn't actually understand what they were saying because the speakers were overpowering. 

No comments:

Post a Comment