Thursday, December 22, 2016

Suspiria (1977)

We watched Suspiria as the first screening in our Cinema Society at SAIS Europe. Without knowing anything about the film, it was abundantly clear that this movie was the inspiration for Neon Demon, which I saw at Cannes. Neon Demon was terrible, but the one thing I remember that I liked about it was its use of color and light. And it borrows that directly from Argento. He uses colored lights to create this artificial look that enhances the horror. I don't really like horror, and I still don't really like horror, but I appreciate style. And while the plot is thin and shallow, it is certainly stylish. The production design of this ballet academy is so distinctive with the solid colors. It is a gory film, so there's obviously lots of red. The creepy musical theme is still haunting me.

One really bizarre thing for me was the dubbing. It is in Italian but the actors aren't all Italian, so the film is dubbed into Italian, despite being a native Italian film. I really can't get over the dubbing. I can accept it in animations when you don't have real mouths, but it just looks so unnatural. 

No comments:

Post a Comment