Sunday, January 29, 2017

Divines (2016)

I'm so glad that the Camera d'Or winner from Cannes is now on Netflix. Erin raved about this movie when she saw it and it has been high on my list. Let's first deal with the ending. Without giving too much away, it is absolutely devastating. I was so taken by surprise not because there is a twist, but because these foreign films are not afraid to take the film to a depressing end. I was visibly shaken and this movie stayed with me. The movie is made by a first time director, with non-professional first time actors, who are excellent. They play these tough French girls who exude confidence, perhaps a little too much confidence for hubris ultimately leads to the conclusion. But don't get me wrong, it's not all depressing. It's actually quite charming and funny. It made me genuinely smile. 

No comments:

Post a Comment