Saturday, July 29, 2017

The Lost City of Z (2016)

The biggest problem about this movie is that it's so slow. It moves at such a slow pace that I hesitate to even categorize it as an adventure film. Sure, I guess when you're actually an explorer, things don't happen fast all at once. Maybe it's a more realistic depiction. But he spends so much of the film back in Britain. Those adventure-less scenes are decidedly less interesting than the rainforest scenes. I get it, it's about his obsession with the New World. That he's always clamoring to get back. I just didn't think that was particularly interesting. I understand that he was a real person and this is biographical. But it was hard to keep my attention. And despite the slowness, you feel like they skip a lot of things in the middle--like how he is in the jungle one minute and docking back in Britain the next. And I hated how accurately British everyone was--the white man's burden is infuriating. Now for what I did like, the visuals in the rainforest. It is a beautifully shot film. And it is well acted. Charlie Hunnam plays obsessed in a way that's not overdoing it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment