Saturday, July 1, 2017

The Happiest Day in the Life of Olli Mäki (Hymyilevä mies) (2016)

I missed this one when I was at Cannes. It won the prize Un Certain Regard. While it is a very good movie, I do not think I would've awarded it top prize in that competition. It is a black-and-white boxing (a la Raging Bull?) movie that has a beautiful vintage look thanks to 16mm Kodak Tri-X film stock. I always thought it was kind of amazing that boxing is a film genre all its own. But I kind of understand. Boxing is an intense sport characterized by isolation, violence, and glory. Perhaps only tennis is more isolating. At least you have your coach in your corner of the ring, though Olli Maki doesn't always see eye-to-eye with him. The premise is simple, based on a true story of a boxer vying for the world championship while distracted by a love interest. The acting is restrained in a way that you don't expect in a boxing movie, but the quiet introspection is a thoughtful reflection on the sport.

No comments:

Post a Comment