Sunday, August 19, 2018

Portlandia (2011-8)

This highly quotable, quirky (just listen to the sound effects) sketch comedy show is admittedly not everyone's cup of tea. But I think it perfectly captures the spirit of a city I've never been to. Everything I know about Portland comes from Portlandia, and I'd like to think it's really like that. Like many offshoots of SNL starring SNL alumni, it is very characteristic of the cast member. This is very Fred Armisen, luckily I love him. He can do no wrong. His characters are all hilarious, especially the ones in drag. And Carrie Brownstein plays along. The last few seasons were particularly good. The stories started to tie into one another, not just a few disconnected sketches. So long to a truly funny comedy. A-O River!

No comments:

Post a Comment