Friday, April 12, 2019

Amazing Grace (2018)

I wish I had seen this glorious movie under better circumstances; it has been a tiring week and I could not keep awake, but this is no indication of the quality of the movie. I am planning to see this again because this is by far the most powerful movie so far this year. Now that out of the way...

Amazing Grace is a legendary two-night concert documentary. Filmed in 1972 when Aretha was just 29 at the height of her singing prowess, Sydney Pollack famously messed up by forgetting the clapboard, leaving the audio un-syncable. With new technology forty years later, it was finally possible. And I'm so glad it has finally seen the light of day. Other than the big snafu, Pollack's verite style is a unique and intimate way to experience a concert.

I'm not a religious person. But I feel taken to church. Watching this movie was a transcendent, other worldly experience that can only be explained by the grace of god. From the first words out of her mouth, "Wholy Holy", I began to tear up. It is immediately evident how much gospel music means to Aretha and to James Cleveland (who is also hilarious) and the wonderful choir. It is loving, powerful, beautiful music. And in turn, you see what the church means to the audience, participating in the call-and-response interacting with Aretha and with God.  Amazing Grace was Aretha's tribute to the beautiful American institution that is the black church.


No comments:

Post a Comment