Saturday, January 13, 2024

Days of Wine and Roses (Broadway) (2024)

I had never heard of the film Days of Wine and Roses. I went in without knowing anything. And let's say it was much more of a downer than I was expecting. It's a depressing downward spiral into alcoholism. Kelli O'Hara and Brian d'Arcy James are both very good but it's unlike anything I've seen them in before. Every number is sung by one or the other or both of them. There are no ensemble songs. And even using the word songs is kind of a stretch. They're almost singing a sort of jazzy opera. It lacks melody and is atonal. But they're singing through dialogue moreso than singing lyrics. There is a pretty complex piano part, and you can see the pianist sitting above the stage with the rest of the orchestra on the second level of the stage. But yeah, I don't necessarily recommend it. It's a bit of a challenge.

No comments:

Post a Comment