Tuesday, August 27, 2024

Next to Normal (Regional) (2024)

I was not familiar with Next to Normal. I'm pretty well-versed in musical theater but this one had sort of slipped my attention. But it's one of those that's a big fan favorite of real theater nerds. We did come all the way out to the Berkshires because Aglaia is a fan. And the guy sitting in front of me (who might have gotten the tickets through work, since his co-worker also came but separately) feels similarly to Aglaia about the play. It's emotionally very powerful, quite a downer of a show. It deals with very heavy topics of mental health. And frankly, I don't see the appeal of the music, not very memorable melodies to me. And I kind of dozed off in the first act. The second act is stronger on the whole. But the big reveal in Act I is revelatory. It makes you rethink everything you've seen before, all the blocking, the dialogue, the acting choices.  That's really well done. The set is fairly simple with two levels. The second level is notable for the circular sliding door, with a step that I thought for sure someone would trip over. The production also uses projections on the white wall of live footage of the characters we're seeing on stage. The theater is small enough that you don't exactly need the magnification. If anything, I thought the projections were kind of distracting. The actors in this regional production at the Barrington Stage Company are all great, especially Natalie Joy Johnson in the lead role of Diana. And Joseph Morales who plays Dr Madden kind of reminded me of my own therapist; something about the way he dresses and talks.

No comments:

Post a Comment