I had no familiarity with this less frequently performed Shakespeare play. It runs way too long, at nearly 3.5 hours. There are many scenes that play out like a final scene, but then it keeps on going and going. It is neither a tragedy nor comedy nor history play. I guess it's kind of a comedy since it ends in marriage, but it's not really funny. The first act actually plays out more like a tragedy, ending in death. It's all the more jarring that the second act opens with a pastoral scene after that. It's a dialogue heavy play, with not much action or scenery to speak of. And the dialogue is not super easy to follow or understand and it's kind of boring. Act II fast forwards sixteen years but had I not read the synopsis that probably would have been lost on me. There is a small four-piece band that accompanies the cast out of sight. They're the best part.
I am a student at Johns Hopkins with a passion for film, media and awards. Here you will find concise movie reviews and my comments on TV, theater and award shows. I can't see everything, but when I finally get around to it, you'll find my opinion here on everything from the classics to the crap.
Sunday, August 9, 2026
The Winter's Tale (2026) (The Public Theater)
In my first return to the Delacorte since the renovation (following the blockbuster production last summer we couldn't get tickets to), the theater actually looks largely the same. After all that, they could have added a roof, because it was a rainy night. It rained on and off, light drizzle to a downpour in intermission. And you're not allowed to use an umbrella during the show. You need a good poncho. Not as fitting as when we saw the Tempest, but there is a storm scene at the end of Act I during which it did start raining. We had great seats at the back of the middle section, with no one next to us or in front of us, scared away by the rain. We actually had a little overhang shielding us from the control booth. One of the actors even slipped in the rain. The seats are still super uncomfortable. But beautiful space.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment