Friday, August 4, 2017

Donnie Darko (2001)

I saw the Director's Cut at a screening at the MoMA. Donnie Darko is weird--that's a compliment. It's a very fitting quote pulled straight from the movie, but in reference to Donnie himself. Weird is perhaps even an understatement. I can't imagine how anyone could possibly have interpreted the ambiguity of the original version. I know there have been criticisms about the Director's Cut engaging in too much hand holding in providing the director's interpretation. But I think I otherwise would have been quite lost. Cause it's just so darn strange.

I think there is an excellent use of music throughout the use of the movie. It really places it in the time period and it is quite stylish. Jake and Maggie Gyllenhaal  acting together as siblings is kind of neat. I never realized it before, but I think Jake has kind of gotten typecast-ed as a weirdo (a la Nightcrawler). The plot is kind of brilliant. There is a fantastic combination of comedy and darkness and science fiction alternate universe's and philosophy about religion. It's trippy. 

No comments:

Post a Comment