Sunday, November 26, 2017

The Glass Castle (2017)

The Glass Castle is very ok. I hear the book is very good, but the movie wasn't really holding my attention. I've read about some key changes between the book and the movie that sort of change the dynamic of the movie. The premise was similar-ish to Captain Fantastic with regards to the unconventional father, but this movie wasn't as novel. It was also reminiscent of the bad parenting of The Meyerowitz Stories, but this movie is less funny and explores childhood more. I thought there would be more elaboration on why they were on the run--I thought that would be the plot that moves the story along, but that's not the case. The strongest bits were the adulthood scenes in which Brie Larson reflects on how her upbringing has affected her. Brie Larson is quite good as is Woody Harrelson. I think the biggest problem with the movie is that it can't decide what it wants the audience to think. They're horrible wacky parents, but are we supposed to sympathize with the parents by the end? Do we want them to reconcile? Not really. Maybe it's a little too sentimental for me. 

No comments:

Post a Comment