Saturday, March 16, 2019

Climax (2018)

I've seen over a thousand movies. I have never seen a movie as intense as Climax. This is the most deranged, not necessarily scary, movie I have ever seen. And yet, Gaspar Noe's latest is mesmerizing. It is provocative yet watchable It is Step Up in Hell. It is Suspiria on drugs. It is about a dance troupe that is about to go on tour. They have their final rehearsal (in which they totally kill it) and then celebrate. Long story short, someone spikes the sangria with LSD and the second half of the movie is one bad trip. The movie is extremely energetic. The movie is made up of some highly ambitious shots. Not only is there obviously the dance choreography, but the camera movement is also very choreographed. There are many long unbroken takes. I know there are some cuts but many you don't even notice. I just want to be able to talk to someone about this, but I can't in good faith recommend this movie to other people. I watched this by myself and it messed me up.

No comments:

Post a Comment