Friday, March 8, 2019

Rebel Without a Cause (1955)

Rebel Without a Cause is so overly melodramatic it's almost funny. Maybe Tommy Wiseau understood that and was trying to parody James Dean ("You're tearing me apart!"). The movie obviously has cultural and historical value, but I don't know that it plays so well in 2019.  That kind of melodrama is something perhaps more typical of a Chinese movie nowadays. The disaffected white suburban teen was certainly a phenomenon at the time but it feels quite foreign in contemporary America. Who are these privileged white folk complaining about their illegitimate "problems"? In some scenes, I almost lost sight of just what James Dean was so upset about. I gather that the adults just can't understand, but I don't really get it either. That red jacket though is great.

No comments:

Post a Comment