Monday, July 3, 2023

Dark (2017-20)

The first season of the German-language series Dark was unlike anything else on TV. It was high-concept sci-fi show, a time travel drama.  And in the beginning it was manageable to follow.  I quite liked season 1--I actually watched 8 episodes straight to catch up to Philip and Nancy and David in a lazy day. But come season 2 and 3, when they started to introduce alternate worlds, it was nearly impossible to comprehend. And we watched it a lot more slowly, so we forgot things. Not to mention the huge cast of actors playing the characters at several ages that were easy to forget. I've never known a show so complicated to require a dynamic family tree, courtesy of Netflix. And there were many details that were found on the tree that I never quite caught in the show.Whoever was writing this show had an incredible grasp on the characters, recurring themes, objects, places, times and all that to keep it straight. Every episode ended on a crazy cliff hanger. The show legitimately made me go WTF constantly. They do know how to keep you hooked even when you can't make sense of it. After much reading, I think the ending is pretty satisfying but I wouldn't have got it all on my own.

No comments:

Post a Comment