Wednesday, July 26, 2023

Romeo and Juliet (American Ballet Theater)

As far as story ballets go, the story can't be too complicated otherwise the plot has to be very well known. Dance just can't convey complex plot clearly. Fortunately, Romeo and Juliet is well known. I was able to follow this a lot better than Like Water For Chocolate. It runs nearly three hours, and I recognized only the five minutes of Prokofiev's Montagues and Capulets. That's one of the best sequences of the ballet. There were probably 40 dancers up on stage. I think that's the most impressive thing...synchronization. Kind of odd to me though is that the corp doesn't get to bow. The leads get their applause at the end. You would think that the company would get to come out together and bow like in a play, but they did not. Personally, I don't like that. They should all get their moment of recognition. Special shoutout to Mercutio.

No comments:

Post a Comment